West Coast Frag Shack - Clan Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts

Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts Empty Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts

Post by Antares Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:16 pm

It appears that both servers crashed at 1:00am PST last night? I see on Gametracker that both were full and instantly dumped their traffic at that time. Whats good to see is that the Conquest server had everyone come back immediately. Cool! What I'm noticing though is that after a crash, in particular on the DM server, it will sit empty for many many hours. I think this is mainly attributed to the map that the server(s) is running. I've run tests the past few weeks on putting up different maps when the servers are empty and have noticed a trend on what gets people on the servers. In particular those first 1-2 people who stick it out until others arrive.

As you all should know by now, when a server does a full reboot, the settings needs to be reinitiated. That is, HC needs to be turned on, and Killcam and Crosshairs needs to be turned off. Everything else is turned on accept Punkbuster. PB has been causing a lot of instability on the servers and its been recommended that we turn it off.

Once done, the map needs to be either restarted or changed to the next map for those settings to take place. When the DM server is restarted, it usually defaults to the Winter Pass (MP_007SDM) map. That map is BY FAR the most unpopular map in this game mode. I've noticed on Gametracker that the server will literally sit empty all night when that map is running, such as last night. If you have to restart the server/reset the settings after a crash, its its best that you also change the map to one of two maps. Either bring up Isla Inocentes (MP_004SDM), or Arica Harbor (MP_006SDM). The best map to attack traffic to an empty server is Isla Inocentes. If you let the server sit on either Winter Pass or Laguna Presa, people will not join. Laguan Presa is a good map but not for a single person to try and get server traffic going with.

Remember that each map has two rounds so that when you hit the Next Map button, the map screen shot will not change. Also, sometimes it takes a bit for BC2 Guardian to register the new map image. Sometimes I log in and out of Guardian to register the latest map image. Also, please give the server at least 20-30 seconds to load the map between hitting the Next Map button. You may also want to verify in the in-game browser that the server is in fact running. Twice this week the server was actually down according to my game browser, however I could still access it via Guardian. Regarding the Conquest server, the best maps to set to attrack traffic to an empty server is Panama Canal, Laguna Alta, or Atacama Desert. Laguana Presa and Winter Pass don't do well in attracting people to get on an empty server.

They will eventually get this crap fixed. In my opinion these recommendations are the best way to continue to attack and maintain server traffic. As you all can tell, our servers are getting more and more popular. Its important to maintain as much traffic as possible even during our non-playing times. That way we're guaranteed 24/7 traffic so that when we do want to play, there will be targets on the servers :-)

Thanks for all your help when I'm not around to take care of this stuff.
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1586

Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts Empty Re: Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts

Post by AzzDawg Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 pm

I prefer the Command centre over Guardian.

Its very easy to use guys, You don't really need to be walked through it.
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts Empty Re: Getting Server Traffic Back After Server Crashes and Restarts

Post by Antares Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 pm

I'm not familiar with that program. I'll have to check it out.
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 am

Ant, Its the first program you showed me.

BFBC2CC.
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Ahhhh, that one! I couldn't figure out how to get the Kick to work so I abandoned the program. If you haven't seen Guardian lately, you should check it out. Much better now.
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 am

Yeah? Have they worked out how to show all 4 teams?
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes, all four teams and the kill/death ratios also show. Its a much better program than when you first saw it.

Note for server crashes/restarts - sometimes when the server restarts, it will drop the player limit down to 8, like this morning. It also changes the rank limit, which is supposed to be set at -1. So if something happens to the server and you're resetting things, please make sure that the player count is at 16 for the DM server, and 32 for the Conquest, and that the rank limit is at -1. Thanks!
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

Yeah I have seen it reset that. I have fixed it a few times.

The Conquest server doesn't seem to be getting much attention does it.
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 pm

The Conquest server was full for a few days until it finally died yesterday. I changed the map to Atacama Desert which always seem to attract people. It got going again and ran for awhile, but once again it died. I think Arica Harbor isn't liked by many in the Conquest mode. Always seems to see people dropping off the server when that map comes up.
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 am

can we take that map out then?

I never really see it going
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Looks like Arica Harbor was the final map running when the server emptied. The map can be removed from the rotation. Should we do it or say screw it? The server has run for days with that map in there. But as I said, I typically see people dropping off the server more on that map than all the others.
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:44 am

Lets monitor it a little bit more and if it seems to be a real trend then lets scrap it.
    kreika
    kreika
    Corporal
    Corporal

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2009-08-08

Post by kreika Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:07 am

Hey Antares and Azz.So what's the actual cause of the crashes?PB,poor game design,or the server itself?I've played on mostly punkbuster servers cause I hate cheaters!I can't recall ever being on a server that crashed.Maybe once or twice and I'm up to level 29 now.I got on our server the other night and Troopy was on it seemed to have quite a few hacks lurking.Not fun when your legit.Hope we can kill the hacks cause that's why I uninstalled Call of Crap 6! Cheers
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:43 pm

We turned PB off because it was recommended by Gameservers that it could create more server stability. Keep in mind that most hackers run advanced enough hacks to get by PB. Unless my game is automatically updating PB which most games don't seem to do, its hard to tell if PB has been updated for this game in awhile?

Server update R10 along with a client update will be out any day now, possibly today. At that point we will turn back on PB. In all honesty I'd rather deal with a few hackers and have a full server 24/7 then have a server that is constantly crashing and sitting empty.

Question - How do you know that these players were hacking last night? Is this an assumption because they were doing well? Or do we have valid proof? There are elite players out there that we need to consider.
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 am

It is really hard to prove sometimes. But once I have confirmation, consider them banned.
    kreika
    kreika
    Corporal
    Corporal

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2009-08-08

Post by kreika Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 am

You know I can't really remember the specifics now. It seemed like alot of extra shots and no kill. Troopy actually may have encountered it more, he was playing much longer than myself. I updated this morning and played some.I got behind enemy lines and was on a knife hunt.I came across a sniper that I knifed in the back three times.He didn't even notice, so I backed up and let all hell brake loose then he died.Damn hackers. Heh heh. Is there any scrim time I missing? I totally agree about the traffic.Your paying for a server there better be people woop"n it up on it!
    See ya,
    kreika
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 am

I dunno if there is a hack out that increases your health or makes knives not work on you, but there seems to be a bit of it going on lately. Specially repeat people.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-03-09

Post by turkeyslapper Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am

yeah ive had the same thing where ive knifed a guy 3 times from the back and he didnt die , I'm not a noob ive got over 300 knife kills now and i know when i get someone, even more frustrating he turned around and 1 shot killed me... gRRRRRRR
    AzzDawg
    AzzDawg
    Admin
    Admin

Post by AzzDawg Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 am

Bullshit isn't it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm