West Coast Frag Shack - Clan Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
turkeyslapper
bigtroopy
Antares
7 posters

Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server?

Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 937
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server? Empty Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server?

Post by Antares Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:23 pm

We're down to around two weeks now until the release of Black Ops and we haven't discussed putting up a server. What are our interests for hosting a clan server for this game? Doing so requires funding and TIME to admin it. In all honesty, I'm not sure I want to take the lead here, as it requires a lot of time, in particular participating in Forums in order to learn how to properly set up the server and dealing with the technical issues associated with it, as there is always plenty of them. In particular just learning how to configure the server as to our preferred gaming style.

Is there someone out there that would like to take the lead on setting up and running the server? I'd be willing to assist but I don't want to be the main point person on this.
    bigtroopy
    bigtroopy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 300
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server? Empty Re: Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server?

Post by bigtroopy Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:47 am

Im willing to help fund, and help admin, but i couldnt be the main person, not to mention wouldnt have a glue how to set up or run lol, i think its best to wait and see the intrest in this game, keeping in mind its an upgraded version of mw2 which alot of the clan didnt play.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Number of posts : 560
    Registration date : 2009-03-09

Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server? Empty Re: Are We Putting Up a Black Ops Server?

Post by turkeyslapper Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 pm

happy to chip in , but judging by the lack of site visits and comments, is it worth it? havent heard from a lot of the clan in ages
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:31 pm

Moon just donated some funds to the Gameserver account and I'm not sure they would be refundable. I'd have to ask Gameservers which I will do. I'm going to see if I can return $50 of Moon's money to him.

So right now it seems like we're probably going to be going with a server for now. Sometimes tells me others will show up on/near the release date on the 9th. I think its a highly anticipated game and probably many of those who have disappeared are just biding time until the 9th.

Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm starting to think that we're wasting our time putting up a Black Ops server. There will be TONS of them and I don't think we have the necessary number of clanmates to properly get this server going. I do not want to camp the server trying to entice people to play. We'd need at least 3-4 people who can play at the same time in order to get traffic going on it. It may be easier to just find a server to play on together, I'm sure they'll have a Friends list to make that easier.

Any thoughts on this? Moon, I can get your donation returned to you.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:07 am

yep agree , i tried a couple of times with moh to join servers scuba was on but got kicked after a minute, assuming ping too high, so if black ops does the same then us aussies are stuffed
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Hopefully Black Ops Friends system will work better. If I remember right, it worked ok in World at War didn't it?

I've put in the cancellation for the pre-odered Black Ops server. Honestly, I think there will be in excess of 10,000 servers out there intially, and without a steady group of people to play the server a lot in the beginning, we'll struggle to get traffic. None of us have the same gaming times either.

Moon - Lets get it rolling for you to get your donation back. The donation money is primarily required for the website which is hosted by Bluehost.com and the Vent server which is hosted by Gameservers.com
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:05 pm

so the vent server is going?
    moon65
    1st Leuitenent
    1st Leuitenent

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post by moon65 Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:18 am

Don't know what to say. The money isnt an issue with me being single and all, if it can be used use it. If not than have them credit my cc acount. I would hold off for a little while unless there is a time limit.

yes, the vent server is going

moon
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Right now I don't think that we really have enough peeps to get a server going. It would have to happen out of random luck. I think you Moon tend to game later in the evening, Shek doesn't have a good enough PC and is consoling it, Slapper and Troopy tend to play later too. Scuba would be the only one I can think of who would probably be available at the same time as me to play. The one obstacle we face is that we'll be playing TDM and you need at least 10 peeps on a server to make that interesting and to attract others. I think that most of us can attest to getting tired of sitting around spending our gaming time trying to get a server going. We can still interact as a clan, just on somebody else's server and dime, ya know? I'm sure there will be a HUGE selection to choose from until we find those better ones to Favorite.

Moon - I'll send you an PM with the information for you to get a refund where. Where we really need the donation is to Bluehost. Its' $30 for three months of website hosting. If you want, you can contribute some to that. I'll have to provide my account information. I imagine Bluehost.com has a donation paymen tool.

MistahT
    MistahT
    Private
    Private

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by MistahT Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:37 am

Being out in Korea right now without the fam, I can camp whatever server is needed whenever. Just depends where the server is. I am in the same boat with the aussies.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:53 am

some big numbers playing last night 10pm aus time 48,000 online
    Shek
    Shek
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Number of posts : 627
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post by Shek Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:31 am

turkeyslapper wrote:some big numbers playing last night 10pm aus time 48,000 online

Is that all playlist? Seems low...

2.5 million the day of lunch, been 3mil+ since then all the time pretty much, even MW2 didn't have this, the highest I saw on that was like 1.5 mil, then it dropped to 800,000ish for months, 360 version.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:24 am

that may have just been aussies, 2.5 million is 13% of our population
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:29 am

Considering the serious lack of FFA servers out there, perhaps we should consider putting one up. You guys been playing FFA or TDM? Treyarch had a bunch of FFA'a up but they disappeared tonight. Along with some other LA hosted servers. One thing I like about the server browser in this game is being able to put your cursor on the country flag and see where the server is out of. Cool!

turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 pm

I'll have to play some american servers to test if its workable first.
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:39 am

Good point! Unless the game code is worse, wouldn't think that it would be any different than the other servers.

Do you have a good selection of servers down there to play on? My server browser is fucked up and not returning anywhere near the number of servers currently running out there. I see like a 10th of them.
    MistahT
    MistahT
    Private
    Private

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by MistahT Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 am

Yea, here in Korea I am only seeing 600-1000 servers at a time, none of them under 200 ping. Can a FFA server be set to hardcore?
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Yes, a FFA server can be set to HC. Must better really, takes more than one bullet, but not half a clip.

The server browser is broken in the game, its supposed to be addressed in the next patch. I'm lucky to bring up 100-200 servers due to my lousy internet connection. Even if we had a server going, chances are I wouldn't be able to find it in the browser due to not being able to add it by IP. In fact on average I can only find a handful of FFA servers out there due to this. My options are severely limited for FFA servers to play on at this time.

The more I play the game the more I enjoy it. I'm level 32 now and have unlocked some decent stuff. Didn't realize that you have to purchase additional killstreak rewards until recently *DOH* The RC car is a lot of fun, didn't think I would enjoy it at first but its pretty cool once you get the hang of it.

Purchased the dual wielding shotguns after I unlocked the top one, changed my zoom key to another more comfortable one just for the map I would use those dual shotties on, those things frigin' rock on small maps.

Hopefully they'll support the game, I like the variety of maps, seems like the weapon sounds get a bit better as you unlock more of the better ones.

Regarding starting a server, we may want to wait until they address the server browser issue. Also, you can't start a server now anyways, they're on hold in most regions for now. I typically play on Seattle and Los Angeles servers.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:36 am

oh no another dual wield shotty noob.. Shek where are you you need to set Ant right on those noobs.. i did join a game withYOU yesterday for 2 minutes it seemed a little bit laggy wil try joining one with scuba or moon this arvo
    moon65
    1st Leuitenent
    1st Leuitenent

Post by moon65 Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:50 am

Just got the game tonight and am loading it. Ant my steem is moon65. lets see if we can all get together soon and have a go. looks like kreika, myself, ant, scuba, troopy, you, slapper, indo, and mistat all have the game.
    Antares
    Antares
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Antares Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:20 am

You can add me on steam with my name, Antares. Should work.

Moon - I tried to add you as a friend under Moon65 but couldn't find you with a search. Is that the account name or your Steam Community name? I think you need to set up a Steam Community profile if you haven't. That will be the name that shows up in the game.

If you don't like the game right off the bat, give it a chance and wait till you start leveling up more and unlocking some of the better weapons. Let alone figuring out how the game works. Such as care packages, buying your kill streaks and other customization features. The more I play and understand what works and doesn't, the more I like the game.

They need to get the server browser fixed so we can find more FFA servers. Servers I've put on my favorites often won't register.
    turkeyslapper
    turkeyslapper
    LT. Colonel
    LT. Colonel

Post by turkeyslapper Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:52 pm

just looked for antares on steam you dont show up, moon may have [WCFS] in front of his name
    bigtroopy
    bigtroopy
    Major
    Major

Number of posts : 300
    Registration date : 2009-02-28

Post by bigtroopy Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:27 pm

I also couldnt get your name. just got back from being away with work on friday, i find the game alright just big issues with lag, few other things which are exspected for a cod game, think we all know what they are, over all there are some cool things, by the way happy late birthday ant, and slapper.
    moon65
    1st Leuitenent
    1st Leuitenent

Post by moon65 Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 am

Ant you are using an upper case m. all lower case. I liked the game right away. Hard core is my fav. Sure there is camping and shenanigans but it is a cod game. You just deal with it best you can, right?

Ant there are three pages of antares. I couldnt tell which one is yours

Last edited by moon65 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am